Bit of a silly mistake on my part this one – though I thought I’d share it. I recently changed my FTP password to one of my sites. I also made the change to the entry in my preferred FTP client, FileZilla. When I next went to connect to the site I received the following error message:
“Response: 530 Login incorrrect”
Well, the clue is in the message really though I was sure I’d copied the password correctly. In fact I’d cut and paste it in from the password screen where I’d made the password change to this FTP account. I tried and successfully connected to the FTP account using the FTP client at the Windows Command Prompt. So it appeared to be any issue with FileZilla…
Then the penny dropped… Doh! I was cutting and pasting the password into the FileZilla – which I have since discovered it doesn’t permit ( a good security feature in my opinion). I can only assume it must scramble anything that is pasted into the ‘password’ field.
When I manually typed the password in, it worked first time!
I guess this is the problem when working with Windows based systems for too long you simply fall into habits and assume that everything will work the same between applications without thinking first.